Saturday 16 July 2011

DOVER to DUNKERQUE 01/08/11 22:00

Ferry tickets booked. All prepared? No.

I'm never going to be ready or prepared enough for this trip it seems, so I just have to forget that and go. Learning is a series of mistakes. Worst case scenario I end up back in England after a week or two with no job. (Actually, worst case scenario I fall down a crevasse/hit by rockfall or avalanche/fall off something due to my own stupidity)

For now the plan is head to Chamonix and get used to the surroundings, first week will be high level hikes mixed with some easier rock climbs or bouldering. Hopefully this will help slowly build up the altitude acclimatization. Second week when some extra more experienced friends arrive we will head onto a glacier and get some good ropework and crevasse rescue practice in, and if I'm not too daunted head up the Aguille du midi for my first Alpine Route.

The most mind blowing or nerve wracking part seems to be the exit from the Midi station to the Valle Blanche - a steep, 1ft wide snow ridge, with massive drops on either side. Once we've done this my friends assure me it's an easy plod to begin the Arete des Cosmiques - an easy difficulty alpine ridge climb with some abseils and rock climbs here and there (which will be done in boots + crampons, something I've never done). The climb actually ends back on the lift station in front of the tonnes of snap-happy tourists, but hopefully I'll be getting lots of shots along the way too.

For someone who is a semi-competent climber, average fitness, but no real winter or alpine experience, this should be interesting! Here's a video for a taste of what's ahead...it's a little cheesey, and a bit French...

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully this will help slowly build up the altitude acclimatization. Second week when some extra more experienced friends arrive we will head onto a glacier and get some good ropework and crevasse rescue practice in, and if I'm not too daunted head up the Aguille du midi for my first Alpine Route. dunkerque dover

    ReplyDelete