Wednesday 24 August 2011

What Next?



Today has been a bit of a funny one, I was pretty keen to get a rail ticket sorted to go to Paris and meet my friend Alyce. However after looking into it further I'm not sure how far my current money will go. I'm waiting on a pay packet that might spur me on, but today I'm having second thoughts. Also, after enquiring at the Chamonix train station, a lot of trains seem to be fully reserved as we're in the peak of high season here. The only thing I could've found to get to Paris for Friday morning was an overnight train and sleeping in a seat, at an extra cost.

Perhaps I'm hesitating to leave my friends, or maybe I'm keen to get my knee fixed and climb, or maybe I'm just too comfortable here at the moment. I don't know what to do.

Maybe the cash injection I'm waiting for will spur me on, but I've been on a bit of a downer today after realising money is limited when you have just quit your job! Saying that, what is waiting for me in Manchester? I do miss home, and I love the place despite all it's grimness, but I have no job or girlfriend waiting (in fact also just discovered one girl I was very keen on back home has just found someone else, not the end of the world but I am quite soft when it comes to these things).

Sorry to be so down, I'll prob feel fine after a good nights sleep, been feeling a bit off today with a dodgy stomach and blocked nose. What a hardcore mountaineer I am. Here's a roundup of the past few days.

Sat:-
That night after my previous blog, Stuie, Joe and their mate Phil turned up on their van, nice to see some more familar faces.

Sun:-
Another chilled out day with Ally and Alex, made my way into Cham to look into a few things and have a chat with someone at the train staion about the confusing interrail situation. Later that night went for a drink with Sam's folks.

Mon:-
Another day biding my time, was far to hot to bother doing much, until later when it absolutley tipped it down and there was huge thunder storms. Very impressive.
Sam got back from the route, they made up the rock pitch without many dramas, but due to the heat the ice pitches were unclimbable, or atleast too concerning to try. After some dodgy abseils down they found themself on a chunk of glacier they couldn't get off of due to a very large crevasse. After much wandering about they finally managed a abseil from a snow ballard. Scary. Sam seemed pretty releived to be back down, despite having lost a headtorch and his new Canon compact camera in the process...


Tues:-
I was raring to get a ticket out to Paris via Interrail and go on a new adventure alone after hearing travel stories from Sam's folks. Had a nice relaxing day with Sam + his folks, nice meal at their hotel and so on.
Most of the guys are up in the free hut for a few days to get some routes in on the rock while it's scorching.

No comments:

Post a Comment